God is the author of relationships
Genesis 1:26, KJV: “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”
God said it’s not good to be alone so He created a companion for Adam
Genesis 2:18, NASB: “Then the LORD God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.'”
You are a portion, you are created to need someone
- Adam need Eve
- Moses need Aaron
- David need Jonathan
- Japheth need Deborah
- Jesus need the Disciples
Jesus built relationships with many people
- The crowd / The disciples / The Apostles
- Pharisees / Sadducees/ sinner / the woman @ the well
- Martha / Mary / Lazarus
All Jesus’s relationships are purpose-driven
Types of Relationships
- Companion – Daniel & His friends
- Friendships – David & Jonathan
- Mentors – Elijah / Elisha ; Paul
- Protegees – Disciples / Timothy
- Colleagues / Peers / Associates
- Acquittances / families
- Spiritual / Blood / work / relational (friends )
It can make or mar you
Proverbs 13:20 New International Version (NIV)
- Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.
1 Corinthians 15:33 New International Version (NIV)
- Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”[a]
Galatians 5:7-9 English Standard Version (ESV)
- You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8 This persuasion is not from him who calls you. 9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump.
Galatians 5:7-9 The Passion Translation (TPT)
- Before you were led astray, you were so faithful to Messiah. Why have you now turned away from what is right and true? Who has deceived you?
- The One who enfolded you into his grace is not behind this false teaching that you’ve embraced. Not at all!
- Don’t you know that when you allow even a little lie into your heart, it can permeate your entire belief system?[a]
1. Is a reward system
Ecclesiastes 4:7-8 New International Version (NIV)
- Again I saw something meaningless under the sun:
- There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. “For whom am I toiling,” he asked, “and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment? This too is meaningless— a miserable business!
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:
2. Is a support system
Ecclesiastes 4:10 New International Version (NIV)
- If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
3. Is a power system – There is power in numbers
Ecclesiastes 4:11-12 New International Version (NIV)
- Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
- Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
How to build lasting relationships
1) Build a relationship with God
1 John 1:7, KJV: “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.”
Ephesians 2:19-22 New International Version (NIV)
- Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
- Discretions / Designment
2) Build your self
Colossians 3:16 New International Version (NIV)
- Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.
- Like attract likes
Proverbs 27:17 New Living Translation (NLT)
- As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.
- Knowledge / Wisdom / Mind / Reading
James 1:8, KJV: “A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
- Be an answer / helper
- Be a student
- Be at your best
- Be God’s representative
2 Corinthians 5:20 New King James Version (NKJV)
- Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.
3) Reach out
- Dare it
Philippians 2:1-4 New International Version (NIV)
2 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
- Be yourself
Luke 9:57-58 New International Version (NIV)
- As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
- Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
- Show yourself friendly – speak out / express yourself
- Network with others
- Respect people / time / appointment
- Believe people – their ability
- Look out for the agreement
Amos 3:3 New King James Version (NKJV)
- Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?
4) Make your connection purpose-driven
- Define it
- God dimension
5) Watch out for wrong connection
- Be courageous enough to cut off even when it carries benefits -Abraham / Haggai
-Abraham / Lot -Josephat / Ahab
6) Resist the devil – the author of Isolation
Relationships to avoid
- People that cause division
Romans 16:17 New International Version (NIV)
- I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.
1 Corinthians 5:11 New International Version (NIV)
- But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[a] but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.
- Disorderly people
2 Thessalonians 3:14 New International Version (NIV)
- Take special note of anyone who does not obey our instruction in this letter. Do not associate with them, in order that they may feel ashamed.
- Yet do not regard them as an enemy, but warn them as you would a fellow believer.
- False teachers
- Timothy 6:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
- If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.
- Denier of God’s power
2 Timothy 3:5 New International Version (NIV)
- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.